Friday, September 30, 2016

Judi

Way back in college I met a lot of great people, some of whom have remained friends ever since. Too many were lost to the passing of time.

When I was a sophomore there was this very cute freshman from South Dakota who caught my eye. When I got to know her a little she stole my heart. She was very smart, very kind and thoughtful, and was freckled with strawberry blonde hair. I was completely smitten.

She came with some issues, of course, but they were very understandable. Everyone came with a boyfriend or girlfriend back home and that was to be expected. Judi had one thing that was pretty tough, though. Her minister father had recently run off with the woman next door leaving his wife and three or four daughters in shock. She would feel the effects of this for quite some time.

After a while we thought we might be in love, but the boyfriend back home still had a hold on her. She asked if it was possible to love two guys at the same time. The smart answer would have been yes, but I think I gave her about every other answer. What an idiot I was. The relationship started to fade after that and we eventually got on with our lives.

She had thought about Harvard Divinity School for graduate work early on ( I wasn't as religious as she was), but she ended up going to medical school and becoming a doctor in the Chicago area at a teaching hospital and a regular hospital. I tried contacting her through Facebook a few years back, but never heard anything so I just had to let it go. It doesn't appear that she ever married and I saw a recent picture of her with her mother and sisters. They were all smiling and beautiful and it still made my heart ache just a little for a love I missed out on. I am sure she is still the kind and caring person I knew back then and I am pretty sure I could have loved her forever.   

No comments:

Post a Comment